Sunday, August 21, 2011

Princeton

This past weekend we took the train southwest to Princeton, New Jersey.  We arrived at a regular train station in town and then rode to campus on the "Dinky" - a mini train that runs on the shortest set of tracks in the country (a whopping 2.7 mile route).  My husband played tour guide of his alma mater, the Oklahoma State of the North (or maybe it's the other way around).  It is an absolutely gorgeous campus.  There is so much detail, history, and character everywhere you look.  My pictures don't do it justice.  You should really see the ivy, stone, and archways for yourself.






We debunked a myth while we were there - the architect was not a Yale grad, in fact he didn't even go to college.  But we did find the bulldog on the east side of the chapel (more like miniature St. Patrick's cathedral!) that started the story.



We then walked through FitzRandolph gate to Nassau Street.  The tradition is that undergrads aren't supposed to walk out of the gates until after commencement, otherwise, they will not graduate.  Good thing I'm realistic and know I would never be accepted so I'm not jinxing my graduation.


We stopped by Winberie's and chugged a beer for a quick beer.  It is not what I typically think of for a college bar.  I guess the snot noses do it up a little differently than the country hicks.  We saw this familiar face while we were there...


Then we had a delectable dinner with even better company.  I would definitely recommend Eno Terra if you are ever in the area.  They focus on local, homegrown ingredients - it shows in how fresh the cuisine is.  Great pastas, delicious veggies, and it might be the only restaurant I have ever been to with at least one wine from every single region of Italy.  

We stopped by Salt Creek for dessert and drinks.  (It was a fun atmosphere with good live music.)  We finished the evening off right - with chocolate souffle and Veuve Clicquet or as the waitress would pronounce it - voo-WAY-vay.  It was a fantastic night with great friends and I hope we can do it more often.  

No comments:

Post a Comment