Thursday, August 4, 2011

Shoe of the Week

Anyone that knows me knows that I love shoes.  What's not to love about them?  They always fit.  They may not always be comfortable, but they always fit.  Your dress size may fluctuate when you eat three Rolo McFlurries (is it McFlurries or McFlurrys?), but my shoe size stays a constant 8.5 and I like that I can count on that.

I work in men's shoes, so I am surrounded by hundreds of shoes in huge piles every day.  But men's shoes lack some of the fun trends you can find in women's footwear.  I see a lot of black, dark brown, and tan leather shoes.  Constantly.  So my Shoe of the Week feature will be my chance to drool over the whimsical, outrageous, pretty, sporty, etc.  I can't promise they will all be affordable or wearable, but they will be interesting.

When people ask who my favorite designer is, I can't answer with just one.  I feel like that's asking parents to pick their favorite child. Not fair.  Unless one of your children is Casey Anthony.  I will feature some of my faves here.

[By the way, if you don't have it already, you should download Bergdorf Goodman's shoe of the day app!]

To keep with this week's shoe-themed post, New York City was recently named the most walkable city in the US according to Walk Score.  After living here, I agree.  It's a great city for walking - easy to navigate, sidewalks on every street wide enough for a few pedestrians,  and it's great for short or long distances.  I never drive in the city, and I never miss it.

I feel like I should also use this time as a Public Service Announcement for all pedestrians in big cities:
1.  Sidewalks are like traffic lanes.  Don't unexpectedly stop in the middle of one.  You will cause a traffic jam or get run over.
2.  Leave your beach, patio, and golf umbrellas at home, unless you want to arrive dry but without an eye.  There is no room for oversized umbrellas on the streets.
3.  When walking with friends, walk single file not shoulder to shoulder.  In case you didn't notice, people walk fast here.  Faster than you.  And they want to be able to get around you.
4.  On escalators, stand on the right, walk on the left.  Same reasoning as #3.
5.  If you smoke, please blow it away from my face.  And don't leave your cigarette hanging out where I will get singed when I walk by you because I don't want to breathe your second hand smoke.

With all of that walking, you definitely wear through shoes quickly.  These are comfy and keep up with the return of the 80's that I'm sure you've noticed this summer.  They are $140.00 and part of the NikeiD line, so you can style them any way you like in case you aren't diggin' the rad neon.



I think they're a little more wearable than these Asics which Ralph was recently seen wearing and retail for $120.00.  

No comments:

Post a Comment