Sunday, October 23, 2011

French Onion Soup


Since the temps have dropped and Fall is officially upon us, I thought it was the perfect time to really break in our new food processor by making French Onion Soup.  It's not just any onion soup recipe, it's Famous Barr's French Onion Soup.  Even though it's the department store's recipe, it feels like a family recipe to me.  My parents are originally from the St. Louis area where this is a favorite and my mom regularly makes it for me when I'm home in the wintertime.

This was my first time to make it and boy am I glad I started in the middle of a Sunday afternoon.  I didn't realize how long it takes!  Be prepared to make this one day and eat it the next because it takes 4 1/2 hours to prep and cook.

You start with 5 pounds of onions...


And then you have to chop 'em all up.  Thankfully I had this machine to easily tackle the task.


It is A LOT of onions.


You melt the better and add all of onions which cooks for about 1 1/2 hours.



Add all of the seasonings to the onions, let it cook for 10 more minutes stirring frequently.


Add broth and wine...


Dissolve flour into the 1 remaining cup of broth and add it to the boiling soup mixture.


Reduce the heat and let it simmer for 2 hours.  Refrigerate overnight.  When you're ready to serve, pour the soup into oven safe crocks, top with a slice of french bread and a slice of swiss or gruyere cheese.  Heat under the broiler until cheese bubbles.


This makes a lot of soup, leftovers can be frozen.

No comments:

Post a Comment