Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Restaurant Week

Restaurant week is held twice each year in NYC.  It's a great way to try some of the cities finest restaurants for a fraction of their usual prices.  For almost two weeks each summer and winter, restaurants around the city offer three-course prix-fixe dinner menus for just $35.00.  (Three-course lunches are also available for $24.07).  I'm normally never on the ball soon enough to grab some of the hottest reservations, so I'm happy to just try out a new place.  I figure you can't go wrong with any of the places on the list, so it's normally pretty random selecting where to go.  This time, my girlfriends and I headed downtown to North Square.  It had a pretty nice location... convenient to the train and near Washington Square Park.  It can only hold up to 50 people but wasn't too crowded.  (Maybe that's a sign??)

First, they brought to the table a basket of bread and a small bowl of pickled treats like garlic, onion, and olives.  It was a nice surprise for the palette.  I tried the grilled shrimp with a pineapple salad and tomatillo sauce as an appetizer.  Quite good - flavors perfect for summer.  My friend tried the chopped salad - it looked interesting, but she didn't make any remarkable comments about it.


For entrees, we all selected the NY steak.  It was pretty tasty but not quite as good as I was hoping.  It was unevenly cooked.  For dessert, none of us could resist the chocolate mousse cake.


As you can tell, I devoured it...


The table next to us got the summer fruit pavolva with pineapple fruit sorbet which looked divine.

No comments:

Post a Comment