Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Spicy Dilligan

My husband and I hardly cook when we're in the city.  It's not that I hate to cook (actually I love to bake), but it isn't so much fun to go grocery shopping when: 1) the store has aisles that only fit midget carts, 2) the food prices are ridiculously high, and 3) you have to carry all that stuff for six city blocks.  Maybe if I had a spacious, dreamy kitchen with state-of-the-art appliances I would be a little more motivated, but not having to do dishes after a day at the office is very appealing.  Plus, every type of food is just a phone call away and then someone new to this country delivers it right to your door!


We have a few go-to spots from which we regularly order food.  We're not opposed to branching out and mixing in some new spots, but the old reliables never let us down.  I will name some of the the oldies but goodies, as well as some of the newbies.




My all time fave is The Pump.  The Pump puts a healthy spin on fast food.  They have several locations in NYC.  I wish they would spread across the country, but since they don't franchise, there's not much I can do about that.  They pride themselves on making everything fresh daily, even their sauces.  They use fresh, unprocessed whole foods, all-natural chicken and grass-fed beef.  It's kind of like Chipotle - first you pick whether you want a plate, salad, or twist (wrap), pick from five proteins and three veggies, add a good fat if you like, and choose a sauce.  They have a few pre-set menu options as well.  My favorite is the Spicy Dilligan.




I think I could live on the Spicy Dilligan alone.  Every day.  Breakfast, lunch, and dinner.  This year for my birthday, I treated myself to two Spicy Dilligans within 6 hours - at least I'm a cheap date.  They even make my mouth water just writing about them.  I recommend ordering one on a plate with brown rice, spicy bison meatballs, cucumbers, tomatoes, peppers & onions, yogurt dill and "hot" hot sauce.  It is a flavor explosion in my mouth - the perfect mix of fresh, spicy, healthy, tasty, and filling, but somehow it always leaves me wanting to come back for more. 


No comments:

Post a Comment